Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Like Watching Everything Grow and Change

Update on the veggie garden:
My winter crops were mostly a great success. We ate greens nearly every day from January through June and some are still producing a bit. The celery never really worked right -- too bitter, so I yanked all of them out today to make room for zucchini. The summer plants are slowly coming along: tomatillos, green beans, and peppers seem okay, but it's too soon to tell for sure. The zucchini and cucumbers are covered with a white fungus or mildew or something because we get so much fog and cool temps. The tomatoes are still in pots, because I haven't finished preparing their proper bed. Soon. Soon. After all, I have over 2 dozen of them. I'll probably end up planting about 10 of them and then give away the rest. Maybe I'll just put them in all over the place and can what I'm able when the glut arrives.

I still really like spending time out in the garden, watering, digging, and just watching everything grow and change, but I need to spend some serious construction time on the structure of the yard. I started with that this afternoon and hope to get more done in the next few days. The summer is going by especially fast this year because I've been traveling a bit and will be doing more of that from time to time. I'm also getting more focused on my work with Winning Situation. I've promised to do a lot of writing: copy for their website, designing a brochure, updating activities on Facebook and other types of outreach materials. I like doing these kinds of things. Hopefully, it will become a more regular job with an actual income rather than just feeling like I'm contributing to the greater good!

Happy July 4th!

No comments:

Post a Comment